Deer Hunting

My mother, Carolyn Newham, a white-haired, 53-year-old nurse said her husband had for several years wanted her to go deer hunting with him. This is the story of her deer hunting experience.

“I love to be outdoors and to walk in the woods,” she said, “but I didn’t want to kill a deer. So I thought to myself, ‘Okay, what the heck! I’ll go.’”

She said that her husband has a very persuasive personality and that he could bulldoze himself right over another person’s thoughts if they are not careful.

To illustrate her point, she explained, “He immediately went out and bought a brand-new .243 rifle for me and built a deer stand for me.”

She said she realized that initially, they had different ideas about deer hunting. “I purchased a camera, a new thermos, and some books,” she said.

Their first hunting trip was on a beautiful fall afternoon. He told her he had the perfect place for her to hunt.

“We walked out in the woods and there I saw a deer stand attached to a small tree. I called the stand my ‘condo.’ I got up on the stand and ate and waited for about an hour. Suddenly, I heard something tramping through the bushes. There was also a peculiar smell, a musky smell of sorts. The only animal I could think of was a bear. At that moment, I panicked. I banged on the tree and made as much noise as I could, hoping Ron would hear me. At about that time, a huge buck scampered by. When dark came, Ron finally returned and walked me to the truck.”

“Carol,” he said, “I can’t believe you didn’t see a deer.”

“Oh, but I did!” she hesitantly exclaimed.

“Well, why didn’t you shoot it?” he asked.

She said she told him at first that the buck was running too fast but then confessed that she thought it was a bear and tried to scare it away. He assured her there were no bears in the woods where they were hunting.

“Needless to say,” she laughed, “I didn’t get invited to go hunting again that year.”

The next year, on a cool, crisp autumn morning, her husband figured he would take another chance on her and invited her to go hunting again.

“Once again, I gathered up all the things that I felt were necessary for a successful hunting trip–camera, binoculars, a book, and some hot coffee.”

“Why don’t you bring your rifle along?” Ron asked her.

“That morning I sat perched in my ‘condo’ reading a book. I set my rifle in the corner. At approximately 8:30 AM, I looked up from the book I was reading and saw a beautiful buck. He was huge and had a tremendous rack on his regal head. As I watched him, I realized that this buck was probably the animal that Ron and my sons had been scouting. I could have taken a clear shot at him any time because, as I was watching him, he was watching a doe coming across the clearing.

“I was so proud of myself for spotting the buck. I was going to play really cool and not say a word to Ron or the boys. By the time they came to get me, I was so excited I couldn’t contain myself. I told them about the buck and that I just watched him for the longest time. Again, hunting season ended for me that day, and I wasn’t invited to go again that year.

“The next year as hunting season rolled around again, I decided that I was going to use my ‘condo’ the way I wanted to. I took all of my ‘necessities’ and figured I would enjoy the nice cool weather, the birds, and perhaps an occasional deer. Do you know? Four does came out of the woods and actually fed right around my deer stand

“My sons seemed to approve of the way I like to hunt. I don’t think the idea of their Mom shooting a deer ever appealed to them anyway. And Ron? I saw and felt approval from him because I realized that all he ever wanted was for the two of us to spend some time together, relaxing at the hunting club, and enjoying nature each in our own way.”

Previous articleBusted Britches – Should Have Listened to my Wife
Next articleLowndes FFA Dominates At State Convention
Donald Newham
Donald Newham, a.k.a. Doc, is an outdoor enthusiast born and raised in Lowndes Co. Georgia. Doc graduated from Lowndes High School in 1981, and was a member of its first state championship football team. He became a certified law enforcement officer in 1983 and worked under Sheriff G. Robert Carter. In 1987 he became a Teamster working for Roadway Express until 2012. Doc then returned to the Sheriff’s Office under Sheriff Chris Prine where he was chosen Deputy of The Year in 2013. In 2017, he became a reserve for the Lake Park Police Department where he assisted in organizing the Lake Park Underwater Search and Rescue Team. Doc enjoys spending time with his family, scuba diving, and spear fishing as he searches for his next adventure.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here