In today’s article I want to share some helpful tips to make your home marketable when trying to sell it. This is not an exhaustive list, but common criticisms by potential buyers.
Step 1: Clean and Declutter
This step sounds obvious but a lot of sellers overlook it. When you think you have conquered this step get some friends to come over and critique to make sure that you did not miss anything.
– It’s easier to declutter before you start deep cleaning. Closets and the garage are the most over looked.
– Deep clean your house. This step is one of the biggest complaints from buyers. Make sure you pay extra attention to kitchen and bathrooms.
Step 2: Make Necessary DIY Repairs
– Fix leaking faucets and make sure drains work
– Replace burnt out light bulbs
– Make sure all drawers and cabinets have hardware and open properly
– Change AC filter
– Check window screens for tears or holes
Step 3: Painting
– Hire a professional if you do not have the time or patience to do it correctly. Most people do not want to buy a house and have to paint the ceilings or baseboards because you did not take the time to use painters tape.
Step 4: Landscape
– Keep your lawn mowed and edged
– Make sure shrubs are trimmed
– Replace any dead plants
Step 5: Be Prepared and Flexible
Always keep in mind that a realtor might call and want to show your house that day. A lot of times a realtor will be showing clients in a neighborhood, and the clients will want to looks at another house because of the curb appeal